Bee and Honey Trivia
I am always picking up bits of trivia about bees and honey.
Here are a few interesting facts.
* All the worker bees in the hive are females.
* The sex of a drone bee is male and it does not have a father but does have a grandfather.
* Drone bees do not have a stinger making them defenseless.
* During a bee's lifetime it only consumes 1/12th a teaspoon of honey.
* The honey bee is North Carolina’s state insect.
* Bees have four wings and five eyes.
* Honey bees are not indigenous to North America. They were brought into this county in the late 1600's by European settlers.
* Bees can fly at speeds up to 12 miles per hour.
* A bee will forage up to 3 miles for pollen and nectar.
* Bees communicate the location of pollen and nectar to other bees by dancing.
* A bee will visit up to 100 flowers before returning to the hive.
* Roughly 80% of all fruits and vegetables grown in the United States are pollinated by honey bees.
* A bee makes about a 1/2 teaspoon of honey during its lifetime.
* Honey never spoils. Archeologists have discovered edible honey sealed in the tomb of King Tut.
* In ancient Egypt honey was the most widely used medicine. Over 500 of the 900 known medical remedies contained honey.
* Two million flowers must be visited to produce one pound of honey.
* Honey is 25% sweeter than white sugar.
* The U.S. consumes about 400 million pounds of honey a year -
* A bee must fly roughly 55,000 miles to produce one pound of honey.